48 hours

48 hours ago I did not know that my son was lying cold in his bed. I did not yet know the gut-wrenching pain that restricts my chest, twists my insides and empties my bowels. 

2 days ago I did not yet know that his pain had exceeded his tolerance or that he wasn't in pain any more. 

The day before yesterday, I knew whether I wanted a cup of tea and what I would do tomorrow. I took pork out of the freezer for dinner and I knew what would become of the stack of frozen pizzas sitting next to it. Today I suspect that neither the pork nor the pizzas will ever be eaten by anyone.

In the life before, time passed in a predictable way. Hours felt like hours and a day lasted 24. Now a minute can last for eons, an hour disappears like fairy dust and the day after tomorrow is an unimaginable mystery too distant to touch. 

Tuesday I only knew his sweet face that so easily broke into the most infectious smile I've ever known. I hadn't yet seen it contorted in death. I only remembered the feel of his warmth, the way his body felt held against mine, as only a mother manages to do with a 17 year old boy. I hadn't yet felt it cold and unresponsive. 

As the third day approaches and I lie in the dark awaiting the second dawn of this life after, I begin to recognize a new traveler in the journey. Next to grief there is a new feeling. Mingled with the tears of loss, there are tears of relief. 

In choosing a path I would never have chosen, Ryan ended a struggle that was always his and never his alone. For a decade and a half we've been in this pain together. We've worked and searched for an elusive way forward where joy and contentment were possible. We've looked for a life free of pain where he could run and jump and laugh, where survival did not depend on escaping first into books and then into video games to numb the pain. He and I together clung to hope for healing, for a different life, until this week he lost his grip and, hopeless for a life he could stand to live, he simply stopped living. 

As the second dawn breaks and the third day begins, I recognize a new reality in which I am no longer searching for elusive answers. I will not go into the kitchen to make a breakfast he may not eat. I will not sit across from him hoping to find the right words to give him strength and courage enough to take the next step in building his life. I won't knock on his door hoping that his conversation will find at least a moment of connection, unlike hundreds before in which he remained distant from life and from me. 

 Ryan released me from the impossible task of finding an answer that would make him whole. After years of special diets and parenting strategies, therapies and weighted blankets, Ryan has set me free from the search for an elusive key to an ever-tightening lock. 

I am relieved. It is the most excruciating relief imaginable. I'm forced to believe a truth I've been fighting his whole life, the truth that the very best I had for my son was not enough. Still, it is a weight lifted, a final gift from a loving son who always wanted me to be happy.

I wouldn't trade these years of mothering Ryan for the motherhood I had imagined it would be. Loving him has been the hardest and most important work of my life. Grief is part of the loving. Loving and grieving are all tangled up. I have for years fiercely loved the child I had while grieving the motherhood of my expectations, the one in which happiness is as simple as pancakes for breakfast.  


Note: though published somewhat later, this piece was originally drafted with pen and paper by moonlight in the second night.  

Comments

  1. I am achingly walking with you through your grief and remembering. You are and ever have been willing to do the hard work of living with what is and bringing all of yourself to that moment. You are my best sense of the marriage of courage and compassion. Love you for your way of being with yourself, with the world, and with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for letting me be with you on your journey. Your anguish and your relief both make so much sense to me. And yes, maternal love makes us grow beyond anything we might have thought possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you as you walk this journey, Karen. May He continue to be your comfort as only He can. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so very sorry and can not even begin to know your pain. It is crushing I am sure. My heart and spirit hurt badly for you and your family. As a mother of 3 it is thee worst nightmare and beyond. I pray Gods love and peace will lift and hold you through this time. Allow His hands to envelope you during this most difficult time. He knows that pain...He is with you and your only hope in a messed up world. My prayers are with you all. Much LOVE being sent your way...from one momma to another. 💔🙏❤

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hold tight, Karen. Sending love your way and hope you know us mommas are there beside you as you make your way through this horrendous grief.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, thank you for your raw grief. The words you find to name and describe your experience are piercing and beautiful. So much love to you as you live this new life

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What's Next?

About