7am

For roughly 100 days of this school year, I've set an alarm for 7am. At 7am I make breakfast for Ryan. We spend a few minutes together before he heads out to school. I start his day with a bit more nutrition than he'd find in honeynut cheerios. In exchange I get a few sentences of conversation, a "thanks mom" and maybe a hug.  Precious moments in these last few months before he graduates and moves away.  

That was Before. After is different. In After, 7am is when I remember that 24 hours ago . . . 48 hours ago . . . 72 hours ago, I did not yet know that my son was dead. 7am is when I went into the kitchen to make him pancakes, because his final words to me were a text, "Can I have pancakes tomorrow?" 7am I start the pan warming. I pull the leftover batter out of the fridge. I'm looking forward to giving him exactly the breakfast he wants. He doesn't often ask for things. And then I hear his alarm going off and realize something isn't quite right. I climb the stairs - no he's not in the shower. I knock on his door - no answer. I try the knob, locked. And I begin to know. I pound on the door and something like panic begins to happen, except it lacks the blessed irrationality and amnesic effect of panic. I'm fully rational and remember every second. 

I text Jamie on the way down the stairs, "Come here." I turn off the burner, take a skewer from the drawer and race back up the stairs, faster now, trying hard not to know what I know. 

I pop the lock, open the door, and there is Ryan and not Ryan. Not asleep and not awake. I touch his arm to be sure and it is absolutely cold.  

From there it's a blur: 911, Jamie, police, a medical team, sinking to the floor before I collapse, seeing the mottled color of his back as they check to be sure. He's gone.  

That was the beginning of After, the space in which 7am is excruciating, a memorial to the moment between normal and grief. 7am is lose my breath, twist up my gut, sobbing. Wishing desperately that I could make him pancakes tomorrow.  

Comments

  1. Karen. My heart wrenches. Your sweet boy did those things to give you time. He didn't want to startle you abruptly, but he gave you time to expect what you would find. I picture him setting the alarm. Texting you about pancakes. Locking the door. All in an attempt to shield you until just the right time. He gave you so many gifts. The relief/release you talk about in another post as well. Though I never met him, I can see that he did think of you and wanted to protect you. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just weeping here, on the other side of a screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also 😭😭😭. What else can we do while reading such painfully concise heartfelt writing? Strong hugs, now and always.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

48 hours

What's Next?

About